What is the Infected Mode in Resistance: Retribution really? Is it really just an added bonus feature for those who have both Retribution and Resistance 2, or is it actually a US$ 60 cheat code? Stephen Totilo of MTV Multiplayer dug into this question, and what he found should be sufficient for now for you to take your stand on the matter. Find out after the jump.
What is the Infected Mode in Resistance: Retribution really? Is it really just an added bonus feature for those who have both Retribution and Resistance 2, or is it actually a US$ 60 cheat code? Stephen Totilo of MTV Multiplayer dug into this question, and what he found should be sufficient for now for you to take your stand on the matter.
Here’s what he found out, based on his hands-on preview of the PSP-PS3 connectivity feature:
- The PSP-Plus feature will let you control the handheld game using the PS3 controller. Using this feature will disable the game-assist feature of Retribution, and will instead put on a PS3 schematic. More challenging this way, they say.
- Changes James Grayson’s dialogue, infects him with an enemy Chimera virus, turns his eyes orange, provides him with a costume change
- Health-pack-oriented health system replaced with regen health ala Halo style
- Underwater-breathing capabilities
- New weapon HE .44 Magnum
- Cut-scenes changes according to the new dynamics of the team due to Grayson’s infection
- Access to Chimera-locked doors and hidden areas and Intel
More, huh? It’s good that it does do a lot more, right? Maybe not, if you don’t own a PS3 unit and you can’t play Resistance 2. And don’t even think renting a copy would do. See, the Infected Mode stays on your game for as long as the system is on, or even when it’s on Sleep mode. Once you turn off your PSP, it’s gone. Therefore you’ll really have to own Resistance 2 to fully enjoy Infected Mode. It’s actually a very well-drawn out plot for you to get Resistance 2 AND a PS3 unit. It’s called keeping it all in the family, methinks?
So. Do you think the PSP players are getting the shorter end of the stick? Sony says no, cos Retribution is already a full experience in itself. Even without the Infected Mode, you’re already gonna get 12 hours of gameplay. Really, the PS3 connection is just an added feature.
Oh, and by the way, the Infected Mode can be a strategic tool for gamers out there. You can re-Infect yourself at any point in the game, and so possibly get you out of a tight spot if the scene calls for an Infected gameplay.
But really, these are just bonus features.
Related Resistance: Retribution Articles:
Via MTV Multiplayer