During the weekend, there were reports of a new iPhone that was found in a bar in Redwood. At first it looked like just another hoax, but tech site Gizmodo says it’s the real thing. Why? Well they apparently managed to get their hands on it, for starters.
During the weekend, there were reports of a new iPhone that was found in a bar in Redwood (thanks to Dave Stancu for that particular tip!). At first it looked like just another hoax, but tech site Gizmodo says it’s the real thing.
The biggest factor in Gizmodo’s favor is that they actually managed to get their hands on the device in question. They tinkered with it as much as they could and found the following:
- Front-facing video chat camera
- Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)
- Camera flash
- Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)
- Improved display. It’s unclear if it’s the 960×460 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the “Connect to iTunes” screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.
- What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack
- Split buttons for volume
- Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic
- The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or shiny plastic inorder for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound
- An aluminum border going completely around the outside
- Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)
- Everything is more squared off
- 3 grams heavier
- 16% Larger battery
- Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery
Since this iPhone seems to already be complete and ready to be rushed to production, there’s a big chance that it’s this year’s model instead of next year’s. Gizmodo lays out all the proof they have at the source link below.